Sunday, August 19, 2007

Foot Trimming

Did you know that I'm a barefoot horse? This means that I don't wear shoes, and I don't have to put up with a farrier every six weeks or so. Yes, Au natural, my feet are as pure as the day they they landed on this earth.

I'm not a snob about it, some horses need shoes, some love to shoe shop and try out different styles, natural balance, plastic, all sorts of crazy styles.
The down side to being barefoot is that I have to put up with my feet being trimmed every four weeks. My owner is a cheapo, so he tries to do it himself. I have to stand there for countless hours as he grinds his metal stick on my hoof.

Here's what he did:
•Using the hoof knife he picked away at the bar until is was well below the wall and would not come into contact with a level surface before the heal or wall.
•Using a rasp, take down the hoof wall until it is level with the sole.
•Bring down the heal with the rasp, it should be higher than the hoof wall.
•Finish up with a nice 'mustang roll,' which leaves the hoof with a nice even beveled edge.

No comments: